Well, it must be Friday again at Kayak HQ. The metasearch service launched the KPhone this morning, an amusing attempt to create the “latest revolution in revolutionary smartphone revolutions”.
The features are rather funny, as Kayak explains:
- Social Networking – KPHONE automatically makes friends with other KPHONE users, telling everyone your business and telling you everyone else’s business.
- Instant Friend Alerts – KPHONE alerts you to which of your friends just came back from a great run and what they had for lunch. Instantly. Automatically. Relentlessly.
- Internet – It’s all here: news, weather, stocks, cat videos. My god, the cat videos. What is with all the cat videos?
- Breathalyzer – No more drunk dialing. KPHONE knows your blood alcohol level and prevents calls to coworkers and your ex.
- Signal Flare – Actual igniting signal flare in your pocket, which is pretty neat. Check-in to your favorite places and let your friends know where you at!
And, in true mocking style:
“With the KPHONE, you can also earn meaningless points — we call them KAYAK Dollars. Every time you use the KPHONE in public, you get 10 KAYAK Dollars. Earn enough KAYAK Dollars and you could get the chance to win an entry in a sweepstakes for the possibility of the idea of a prize of a magical pony. Compete with friends in online multiplayer mode!”
This is not the first time Kayak has beenÂ mischievousÂ in public. In March this year, CEO Steve Hafner and chief technology officer Paul English thought it would be funny to poke fun at a little known company called Google, using the “flippy” board from its TV ad campaign.
Kayak is not afraid at all – FairSearch campaign notwithstanding, of course.