Product news, releases, projects and more from the global distribution systems during March 2011 – all here, in one easy read.
Most recent updates first…
Friday 29 April 2011:
- Travelport signs distribution agreement with SkyWork Airlines. The Switzerland-based carrier’s inventory serving eight destinations around Europe will be available on the Apollo, Worldspan and Galileo networks. E-ticketing will be processed through Hahn Air.
- Distribution questions loom following US approval of Southwest-AirTran merger [full story]
Wednesday 27 April 2011:
- Travelport signs technology partnership with Germanwings. The Cologne-based low cost carrier will use Travelport’s ETDBase e-ticket database hosting service, a deal which also gives Germanwings the ability to accept electronic tickets generated by parent airline Lufthansa and its partner travel agencies.
- Sabre Travel Network joins Scottish Passenger Agents’ Association. Membership comes as Sabre ramps up efforts to promote the Sabre Red desktop service to travel agents in Scotland.
- US Airways cites Expedia deal, Sabre suit among accomplishments [full story]
Sunday 24 April 2011:
- US Airways to travel agents: Weâ€™re leveling the playing field with Sabre [full story]
- US Airways sues Sabre on antitrust grounds [full story]
- US government delays decision on ancillary fee displays in GDSs [full story]
Wednesday 20 April 2011:
- The USÂ Department of Transportation delayed a decision and will issue a proposed rule-making later in 2011 on the issue of whether to require airlines to distribute optional services through GDSs [full story].
- Delta Air Lines introduces direct-connect strategy with Farelogix [full story].
- Amadeus takes travel agents into social media land [full story].
Monday 18 April 2011:
- Travelclick and Sabre renewed their agreement in which Travelclick agrees to resell Sabre GDS advertising products to hoteliers worldwide. And a new wrinkle in the agreement has Travelclick becoming an authorized reseller of the travel agent rewards program, Sabre Rewards Plus. Sabre and Travelclick have been partners since 1999.
Friday 15 April 2011:
- Travelport announces first hotel reservations provider to use its XML Pro Technology Solution will be Genares Worldwide Reservation Services. Travelport customers will have real-time access to rates, availability and rules from 3,000 worldwide properties on the Genares system, including Best Value Inns, Wynn, Boutique Desires, Encore and Treasure Island and Shilo Inns.
- What is all the fuss? Sabre has hundreds of direct connections [full story]
Wednesday 13 April 2011:
- Travelport enhances Qantas distribution agreement with seat selection option. From today, all agents using the Galileo, Worldspan and Apollo GDSs will be able to book and pay for preferred seats on Qantas flights via existing desktop tools.
- Amadeus and Turkish Airlines sign three-year distribution deal. The full content partnership gives agents connected to the Amadeus GDS the same access to the carrier’s full level of fares, availability and functionality as those booking via its website.
- American Airlines throws monopoly lawsuit at Travelport and Orbitz [full story]
- Did Orbitz for Business trump GetThere with mobile website? [full story]
Tuesday 12 April 2011:
- Amadeus partners with Scandinavian carrier CAS to power its insurance services platform. The airline will be using the Amadeus e-Commerce suite product to allow passengers to add so-called cancellation insurance to air tickets.
- GetThere to downplay TripCase with HTML5 mobile solution [full story]
- Google reminded Europe will push GDS Code of Conduct change [full story]
- Amadeus expects positives from Google-ITA Software deal [full story]
Wednesday 6 April 2011:
- Orbitz, Expedia and the GDS haves and have nots [full story]
- American Airlines and Expedia reach settlement [full story]
- Travelocity replaces CEO with former Hotels.com exec [full story]
Previous GDS updates:
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – March 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – February 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – January 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – December 2010
- GDS Bitesize – January 2010 to November 2010