GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – December 2011
Product news, releases, projects and more from the global distribution systems during December 2011 – all here, in one easy read.
Most recent updates first…
Thursday 22 December 2011:
- Travelport signs agreements with four agencies in Saudi Arabia. The Galileo distribution and technology deals cover new contracts with Asfar Travels and Global Destination Solutions, as well as extensions to existing agreements with Transcontinental Holidays and Roibek Travel.
- TnoozLIVE – Episode #1: 2011 roundup and 2012 preview [VIDEO]
- Travelport stands firm on introduction of Agility despite pressure from agent groups
- Sabre wraps up billion dollar contract with Etihad Airways
Tuesday 20 December 2011:
- Will airlines with puny profits follow lead of fee-happy Spirit Airlines?
- Three important things the travel industry can teach the world about APIs
- OpenTravel tees up XML schema for golf and other pursuits
- IATA found in breach of regulations over use of PaxIS, Europe data to be removed
- CWT To Go takes online and GDS bookings mobile for road warriors
Thursday 15 December 2011:
- Sabre Travel Network and Glowpoint unite to provide cloud video services as part of the Sabre Virtual Meetings platform. Glowpoint will provide Sabre with its OpenVideo system to give users video bridging and helpdesk support as well as remote monitoring and management tools for the videoconferencing platform.
- Amadeus says over half of its customers in the UK had dealt with clients who had obtained travel advice through social media before consulting a travel agency. The survey also found that four out of ten agencies had yet to integrate social media into their working practices, although 60% are using social media to help with new business.
- Karibu Games wants to bring gaming into the heart of online travel
- Open APIs in travel need to grow up
Tuesday 13 December 2011:
- Travelport signs full content agreement with Austrian Airlines. The renewal of the multi-year deal gives all Galileo and Worldspan-connected agents access to the airline full published fares and availability.
- Sabre Airline Solutions has used to its SabreSonic Customers Sales and Service package to integrate Ethiopian Airlines into the Star Alliance airline network. The partnership allows the airline to offer passengers frequent flyer points across the network of carriers as well as improve data and operational integration.
- What else? Teletext Holidays MBO, Phishing air tickets, HolidayCheck, Fastbooking
Saturday 10 December 2011:
- Sabre is giving something back by raising $1 million for 700 charities around the world. It’s 11th annual fundraising initiative will help organisations in 30 countries and brings the total raised since 2000 to $16 million. Those benefiting include The Starlight Foundation in Asia-Pacific, National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children in Europe, and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation in North America.
- Sabre litigation, backed by 100 lawyers, could be resolved before American Airlines reorganizes
- The case for a new airline distribution model [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Using semantic technology to create better consumer profiles in travel
Thursday 8 December 2011:
- Where is the consumer interest in a limited Google Flight Search?
- TripIt debuts Kindle Fire apps and videoconferencing appointments
- Why the travel industry should come out from behind the digital curtain and talk to people
Monday 5 December 2011:
- Amadeus and Iberia add to its existing distribution agreement by adding ancillary tools to the airline’s technology platform. The carrier has adopted the Amadeus Ancillary Services tool, as part of a long-term strategy, to initially allow agents to book preferred seats for passengers.
- Jizo claims major distribution first for travel search, opens up Russia
- Open call to all travel companies: Simplify your APIs!
Sunday 4 December 2011:
- Tnooz-Sabre Webinar VIDEO: Mobile and social media – sort the facts from the hype
- Long distance rail passengers crave seamless experience
- Travelport prepares agents for platform overhaul, launches Agility and subscription fees
- Why video conferencing will not kill business travel
Thursday 1 December 2012:
- BMI reaches agreement with Travelport to extend distribution agreement. Worldspan and Galileo-connected agents will have access to BMI’s full published fares and availability.
- LAN Airlines signs full content agreement with Amadeus. The multi-year partnership gives Amadeus-connected agents access to fares, schedules and inventory across the LAN portfolio including carriers in Argentina, Peru, and the LAN Express brand.
- Travelport extends agreement with RightNow Technologies to cover the travel tech provider’s new Developer Network. RightNow will power the community aspect of the network, allowing users to collaborate, swap ideas and interact with one another.
- Amadeus launches Market Pricing product. The system is part of the Revenue Management suite of tools and combines publicly available rate information from major web rate shoppers and Amadeus itself to give hotel revenue managers a view of the market through price trends, price fluctuations and benchmarks.
- Amadeus takes blame for Qantas check-in system crash
- Tnooz-Travelport Webinar: VIDEO – The hotel shopping dilemma
- Sabre integrating booking, corporate travel features into TripCase mobile offering
- American Airlines parent company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
Previous GDS updates:
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – November 2011
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – October 2011
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – September 2011
- GDS news: Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – August 2011
- GDS news: Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – July 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – June 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – May 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – April 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – March 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – February 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – January 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – December 2010
- GDS Bitesize – January 2010 to November 2010
This is the team byline for Tnooz.