Product news, releases, projects and more from the global distribution systems during January 2012 – all here, in one easy read.
Most recent updates first…
Tuesday 31 January 2012:
- Unbundling is evil â€“ there must be a better way
- Virgin Australia and Sabre sign multi-year distribution agreement with Sabre. The deal gives all Sabre-connected leisure and business agents access to all Virgin Australia fares and inventory, including ancillary products. Virgin Australia has also upgraded to Sabre’s AdvanceConnect system.
- Travelport announces launch of service to allow booking of pre-paid bags on Cimber Sterling flights. Travelport-connected agents will be able to use the service immediately. The Danish airline operates over 1,000 flights per week and carries 2.5 million passengers a year on its domestic and European network.
- Amadeus technology outage hits major airline systems and agency bookings
- Tnooz-BCD Travel FREE Webinar: Getting in sync â€“ Tools for communicating with business travelers
Monday 30 January 2012:
- Amadeus calls on rail industry to adopt “shared approach” to developing IT systems. The Back On Track report by Professor James WoudhuysenÂ argues that the rail industry has been held back by legacy IT systems and should therefore consider adopting next generation IT solutions, similar to those used by airlines. “The concept of an outsourced community platform, a shared system used by rival rail companies to manage customer processing, means rail companies would benefit from the latest technology whilst remaining free to innovate and differentiate,” the reports says. “This approach would see the rail experience transformed, allowing for personalised journeys, the selling of ancillary services and multiple options for ticketing.”
- FairSearch blasts Google Flight Search ad model as online travel group enlists
Thursday 26 January 2012:
- Amadeus signs four-year distribution agreement with Travix mega-group. The deal covers the portfolio of Travix brands such as CheapTickets, Vliegwinkel.nl, Flugladen, BudgetAir, Vayama and Easytobook. The Amadeus Extreme Search system is also included as part of agreement.
- With Google, Apple and Facebook on the prowl, will hotels lose even more control of distribution?
- Is it time for a global HotelWiki to assist the industry (and consumers) with hotel distribution?
Wednesday 25 January 2012:
- Travelport signs major agreement with Satguru Travel & Tourism to expand operations in Africa. The partnership is said to be the largest of its kind signed by Travelport and gives it 16 new country distributor agreements across the continent, growing its existing network from 27 to 41 and extending GDS operations in a further two. National distributor centres for Travelport will run in the following countries:Â Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Southern Sudan and Togo. Existing Satguru ecommerce tools will be made available to customers as part of the deal.
- North American hotel prices â€“ January to March 2012
Monday 23 January 2012:
- AmadeusÂ signs Memorandum of Understanding with the European Commission to promote travel between Europe and South America. The agreement is part of a wider scheme to increase traffic to other regions around the world during low seasons by utilising spare airline and accommodation capacity. TheÂ programme will encourage airlines that are ready to offer fare concessions through travel agencies and tour operators that would organise relevant travel packages, as well as with the European Commission.
Saturday 21 January 2012:
- Travelport has tapped Amadeus for senior executiveÂ Gilles Mascaras who joins as vice president for channel strategy and pricing. Mascaras will be responsible for identifying and prioritising markets, channels and customer groups for Travelport GDS products and services. Â Mascaras had a 19-year career at Amadeus and was most recently ran the global online travel agencies and large leisure travel agents group.
- Priceline has successfully integrated Travelport‘s 360 Fares system. The global fares and pricing system powers all fares and pricing transactions for Travelport’s global distribution systems.
- TravelportÂ announcesÂ three-year agreement with global IT outsourcing company Stefanini. The new partnership continues an existing agreement for Stefanini to provide Travelport with multi-lingual customer help desk services to its global distribution system and Galileo customers in Asia, alongside existing global Worldspan customers and Galileo customers in Europe.
- Why the mechanics behind travel distribution will blow your mind
- Travelport: IPO still a consideration, admits mistakes made with introduction of Agility
- Can a global distribution system be cool?
- Amadeus strengthens hotel offering via HRS distribution deal
Tuesday 17 January 2012:
- Travelport and TAP Portugal agree to extend distribution agreement. The deal gives all Travelport-connected agents around the world full access to TAP’s fares and classes. The pair have also agreed to work on a number of strategic projects including development of merchandising and group booking systems.
- Siri the mobile travel agent [VIDEO]
Saturday 14 January 2012:
- Start of American Airlines-Sabre antitrust case extended two months.
- Travel technology steady hand test [GAME].
- Financial analysts downplay Room Key threat to Expedia and Priceline.
Thursday 12 January 2012:
- Sabre identifies government regulation of airport security, emissions and taxes as one of the top issues affecting airlines. The bi-annual survey found fuel prices (81%), government regulations (72%) and airport security (59%) as the key challenges for the aviation sector. Issues having a positive impact included revenue/yield (81%), customer loyalty (81%) and IT investment (76%), according to executive at 80 regional and global airlines across the world.
- Room Key: Open to all, will lower hotel distribution costs, features and marketing to come
- Hotel giants come together to launch Room Key search site
- Amadeus report shows travellers willing to trade personal information for less travel stress
- US rejects delay request from global airlines on bag fee transparency
- Practical application of semantic technology and personalization in travel
Tuesday 10 January 2012:
- Amadeus signs distribution deal with Travelodge. The agreement gives Amadeus-connected agents access to 490 properties on the Travelodge portfolio in the UK, Ireland and Spain. Travelodge will also be included in the Amadeus Selling Platform and Hotel Plus tools. Travelodge aims to double its number of properties by 2020.
- Tnooz-Tealeaf FREE Webinar: Understanding the challenges of the multi-channel travel booker
- Airports â€“ the new frontier for travel loyalty services
- Middle East hotel prices â€“ January to March 2012
Thursday 5 January 2012:
- Big Data and the infinite possibilities for the travel industry
- What else? Web usage report, AMR delisted, ARC chairman, Cheapflights ticked off
- Why you need to care about travel technology, semantic web and ontology
Tuesday 3 January 2012:
- Amadeus launches Hotel Optimisation Package system for leisure and business travel agencies. The system has a number of services including the LinkHotel service, 50,000 properties from the likes of Transhotel, as well as a multi-GDS Business Intelligence platform to handle pricing and contracting with hotels.
- Travelport makes changes to Agility package for agencies in Americas
- Travel technology in 2011 â€“ most popular, most commented and other highlights on Tnooz
- Big shuffle in the world of hotel marketing and distribution in 2012
NB:Â Image via Shutterstock.
Previous GDS updates:
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – December 2011
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – November 2011
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – October 2011
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – September 2011
- GDS news: Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – August 2011
- GDS news: Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – July 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – June 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – May 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – April 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – March 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – February 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – January 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – December 2010
- GDS Bitesize – January 2010 to November 2010