GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – November 2011
Product news, releases, projects and more from the global distribution systems during November 2011 – all here, in one easy read.
Most recent updates first…
Tuesday 29 November 2011:
- Amadeus appoints aviation technology executive John Jarrell to head its Airport IT division. Reporting to Amadeus VP of new businesses, Francisco Pérez-Lozao, Jarrell joins from EMS Technologies where he was general manager. He has previously sales director for airport systems at EDS, senior vice president for airport services at SITA for ten years, and also general manager of air traffic systems at Sensis Corporation.
- Travelport loses $19.7 million decision to former distribution partner
Sunday 27 November 2011:
- MassiveGood charity project axed, travel technology worked but brand failed
- TravelTainment in consultation, details still sketchy
- Court: American Airlines antitrust claims against Orbitz dismissed
Monday 21 November 2011:
- Amadeus and Finnair agree deal to use Dynamic Website Manager on the airline’s online platform. The Amadeus-hosted system comprises a booking engine, content editor, media repository, campaign management, portal administration, template engine and full integration of airline business rules.
- Peace in our time: Vayant and Everbread settle long-running dispute
- Airlines to triple ancillary revenue via travel agency involvement
Thursday 17 November 2011:
- Google gears up for international roll-out of Flight Search
- Why air results are as predictable as European finance ministers or marriage vows of Kim Kardashian
- Tnooz-Sabre FREE Webinar: Mobile and social media – sort the facts from the hype
- No change in EasyJet business travel share after four year of GDS use
Monday 14 November 2011:
- Diane Bouzebiba will become managing director for Amadeus in the UK and Ireland from 1 January 2012. She replaces Tim Russell, who stepped down in September this year. With Amadeus for ten years, Bouzebiba was most recently head of the Amadeus Rail business unit, based in Nice.
Sunday 13 November 2011:
- Sabre in dispute with Uruguay national airline Pluna
- Did Orbitz dodge a bullet when Travelport restructured debt?
Friday 11 November 2011:
- Airline trio select Sabre Travel Network for merchandising tools. Alitalia and Finnair will use Sabre’s Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD) to give agents the ability the shop, book and send tickets for the ancillary products through the GDS. South African Airways has a similar agreement but will also distribute its own branded fares via the GDS.
- Amadeus keeps migrating airlines, not overly concerned about Google
- Tnooz-Travelport FREE Webinar: The hotel shopping dilemma – consumer, agency and distribution perspectives
- Travelport opens Developer Network scheme
- Amadeus third quarter 2011 results – at-a-glance summary
- Travelport CEO: We have resources and momentum
- Travelport third quarter 2011 results – top-line digest
- How does travel distribution work – the GDS version [VIDEO]
Sunday 6 November 2011:
- Why travel technology feels different in Asia
- Big switch: Vacation rental association and Pegasus come to terms after dispute
- Second credit agency upgrades Travelport, US tester for Universal Desktop unveiled
- Sabre launches global reservation system for video conferencing
- Gilliland: Sabre thinking of IPO — eventually
Wednesday 2 November 2011:
- Travelport signs renewal of technology and distribution agreement with A&I Travel. The Memphis-based corporate travel management company, an affiliate of BCD Travel, will use Travelport’s e-Pricing and Rapid Response tools as well as access to air, hotel, car hire and cruise line content via the Worldspan GDS.
- Bluetooth flight check-in and boarding — Sabre builds a prototype
- Sabre Red App Centre — If you build it will they come?
Tuesday 1 November 2011:
- Amadeus signs software platform deal with Cosmos. The UK-based tour operator will receive an integrated technology platform to bring together search and booking for flights, rail and cruise products.
- Sabre renews reservation system software deal with Gulf Air. The multi-year contract is for the SabreSonic Customer Sales and Service line of products and will be installed across the entire Gulf Air network, beginning in Bahrain.
- Qantas ordered to resume flights and resolve dispute, systems already back on track.
- Tnooz-Amadeus Webinar: SLIDES – The impact of the always-connected traveler.
- The big travel technology question: is the industry ready for the IT Spring?
Previous GDS updates:
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – October 2011
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – September 2011
- GDS news: Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – August 2011
- GDS news: Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus – July 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – June 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – May 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – April 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – March 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – February 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – January 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs – December 2010
- GDS Bitesize – January 2010 to November 2010
This is the byline used for stats, roundups, bits of housekeeping and other generic articles from Tnooz.