Google Maps gets massive refresh, adds Uber as transport option
The addition of the on-demand taxi hailing service comes as part of a wider overhaul of the maps product which includes a number of other new features.
When users now compare transport options, Uber transport option will be listed if the existing app is installed on mobile. If a user clicks on the Uber transport option in maps app, Uber’s service will load to complete the taxi request.
This option is currently available only in “some cities”.
“Google is a technology powerhouse, with billions of users on an incredibly complementary product suite ranging from Google Maps to Android to self-driving vehicles.
“We look to Google and Google Ventures for the strategic connectivity to their product initiatives alongside the expertise that comes with evangelizing new technology with governments and regulatory bodies around the world.”
Uber has expanded its service significantly in recent months, having services in over 100 cities in 35 countries globally.
Other new features in the Google Map app include:
- Ability to see which lane to stay in or move to while driving.
- Users can save maps using the “Save map to use offline” button for accessing it offline.
- Users can browse restaurants, bars and hotels with a new set of filters – by opening hours, rating, price, and more.
- While searching for train transport option, now users will be able to choose the time and day they want to leave. Also, option to see “last train home” is also available.
- Save places and access it via all devices.
- Access Street View feature where available.
Karthick was general manager for Tnooz in Asia until September 2014.